Tuesday, May 13, 2008

So Long, Ringtown



Say "so long" to another neighborhood school. Ringtown Elementary in Schuylkill County is closing at the end of the current school year.

The 140 students will attend class about 14 miles away, at North Schuylkill Elementary, in Fountain Springs.

I've been in both buildings. North Schuylkill is less than a year old. It's still shiny and new. It's big and bright. It's air conditioned.

Ringtown is old and smaller. It received a technology upgrade to coincide with the North Schuylkill opening. It's adequate. I got a quick "look around" yesterday.

Here's what makes Ringtown different. It's a neighborhood school. There aren't many of those left.

I was lucky. I attended neighborhood schools until the 6th grade. Are there any left?

I'm sure the children will receive a good education, regardless of whether they attend class in Ringtown or Fountain Springs, but if I had the choice, I'd take the neighborhood school every time.