Friday, June 20, 2008

Scrapple



In the never ending effort to do something different, the Random Thoughts blog has been re-named Scrapple for the day. If you're familiar with the product, Scrapple contains a little bit of everything.

GET SMART The movie has been getting fair to good reviews. Roger Ebert really liked it, and I trust his views. However, you won't see me at the theater. "Get Smart" will always be Don Adams and Barbara Feldon. I'm not a Steve Carell fan, based mostly on the stunningly un-funny "The Office."

INVESTIGATIONS R US Is there any local government office that isn't under investigation? Rumors have been swirling about Lackawanna County for months. Federal agents apparently seized a bunch of stuff from a Luzerne County court/office building yesterday. Obviously, we'll know what they found and what they were looking for if there's an indictment or indictments. If nothing comes out of the investigation, we need to know that, too. People deserve to know if the individuals running the courts and other government offices are honest.

WEATHER I know I'm in the minority here, but I found this week's cool spell absolutely delightful.

POTHOLES Spruce Street in Scranton, between Mifflin and Franklin, has to be one of the worst in the city. I'm not sure if it's a city responsibility, or if it belongs to the state, but both should be embarrassed over its condition.

WILLIE RANDOLPH I thought the NY Mets should have fired Willie Randolph after last year's late season collapse, but they waited until Tuesday morning to do it. Having said that, the firing was poorly handled-- after the beginning of a west coast trip.

SWB YANKEES There are 14 teams in the International League. The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees are 8th in attendance, averaging about 6,500 fans per game. Remember, that counts season ticket holders, not butts in the seats. The bloom disappeared from that rose quickly, didn't it?

MEET THE PRESS Brian Williams will moderate this week's "Meet the Press." If I was the head of NBC News, I'd give the job to Tom Brokaw until after the election. He'd be perfect for the transition. As for a permanent host, I have no idea, but there's no shortage of good candidates out there.

RINGTOWN A judge ruled Ringtown Elementary should stay open, postponing plans to ship those kids to North Schuylkill Elementary. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

VANDLING The town near Carbondale has an arson problem. I don't understand most crimes. Arson is near or at the top of the list.

TIGER Tiger Woods has a bad knee, and he won't golf until next year. I'm sorry for his health issues, but I find golf tournaments infinitely more interesting when the field is wide open.

BIG TEN NETWORK The Big Ten Network is coming to my cable system this fall. I should be more interested in this than I am.