Friday, August 22, 2008

Big. Should Be Bigger.


WARNING! I'm about to come across as a mean SOB. Those who know me, or who are regular blog readers will say "What else is new?"

The Pittston Tomato Festival is underway. Scranton's Italian Festival begins Labor Day weekend.

Both are nice events, but I wonder why they're not bigger, and I don't have the answers.

As for Pittston-- maybe if the festival wasn't held admist crumbling buildings.

As for Scranton, I was never in favor of moving the Italian Festival to Labor Day weekend. The Italian Festival used to be on Columbus Day weekend. It was moved up after a few consecutive years of bad weather. Unfortunately, it lost a lot of its charm in the process, and it because just another summer festival in my book.

Wilkes-Barre tried an Italian Festival on Columbus Day weekend, but it never gained traction.

The glass is half full, and I'm thankful there are two nice late summer events going on here in our area.