Thursday, August 28, 2008

That's Why I'm Here



ABC "World News" anchor Charlie Gibson now has a blog, the last of the big 3 network anchors to have one. Here's what he has to say about it:
"I think these things can tend to be a little self-serving and self-aggrandizing. That's my only objection to blogs. I don't know that we'll show our dirty linen, but I'll try to be as honest as I can and do a little 'value added' stuff."

Self serving and self aggrandizing? I'll plead guilty to the first half of that. I usually save this speech for the annual blog establishement anniversary in November, but I'll do it now. I jumped at the blog offer four years ago because I wanted to try something different, and I wanted to do something outside the strict confinement of a serious newscast. I also thought I needed a little image rehab. Very few people "get" me. I take my job seriously, but I don't take myself seriously. Too many people think I'm all business, void of a sense of humor and personality. I may not be the life of the party, but I'm not a stiff, either.

I do try to throw in some "value added" stuff from time to time, in the form of a "behind the scenes" story or two. I'm forced to leave out most of the really, really good stuff. You'd never believe it.

A blog can be an effective tool on so many levels. I just get the feeling Mr. Gibson really hasn't bought in to the concept. Here's an excerpt from Tuesday's entry:
"I spent 40 minutes or so yesterday writing and editing what I'd written. And if I post, I will write it. And there were 47 responses. As I said, I appreciate them, but is that a good use of time? I work in a business of mass communication. We broadcast to seven to ten million people each night. Is it worth it to ABC News for me to spend half an hour or an hour a day blogging when I could be focused on the night's broadcast? I don't know. Blogging is retail communicating, as opposed to being on air, which is wholesale communicating. Well enough of that."
Less whining, more writing. You have to embrace new technology before it runs over you.

Here is where you can find Charlie Gibson's blog.