Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Touch of Grey Kinda Suits You Anyway...


I needed a hair cut, but I hadn't planned on being near my usual place until at least mid-week. I thought I could wait, but I watched myself on Monday's Newswatch 16 at Noon, and I didn't like what I saw. I never do. I looked like a slightly less hairy Phil Donahue. In other words, lots and lots of grey.

After work, I was heading for my favorite park to take a walk, when I saw the "open" light flashing in front of a barber shop. I was stunned. Few barbers are open Mondays, and this is a tough time of year to get a hair cut. Salons and barber shops are packed with kids getting back to school trims and styles.

You miss 100 per cent of the shots you never take, so I parked the car and walked in. I got in and out of the chair fast, and got a very good hair cut in the process. My grey is much less noticeable when my hair is short. I asked the barber about being open Monday. He said he's open Mondays because all other barbers aren't. It's a great strategy. Brilliant! One of the keys to being successful is to do what your competitors aren't doing. It's all so simple. There is a very good chance I'll be back.

Must be getting early. Clocks are running late.