Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It Never Fails


It always happens. I spend days, maybe weeks, looking forward to a vacation. Then, the big day arrives, and I don't want to go.

I was straightening up my desk and locking up early Monday morning-- as a potential vice president was coming to town, as the weather was turning bad, as teachers threatened to strike, as court cases were beginning-- and I was actually a little disappointed I wasn't going to be part of the coverage.

9/11 found me on vacation in Baltimore. I called the office from my hotel and volunteered to come back. The acting news director at the time thanked me for my offer, but he said ABC News was taking up most of the time, and the WNEP staff on hand was more than adequate. I cut the vacation short, drove home, and called again the next day. I still wasn't needed, and that was okay.

There are more than enough projects and "adventures" to keep me busy this week, but it's tough to watch from a distance when something big happens.