Monday, September 8, 2008

Time Is Not On My Side


I saw something in the newspaper yesterday that really irritated me.

The Scranton Times reported an increasing number of local doctors and dentists are charging patients for missed appointments.

That would be okay in my book-- IF doctors and dentists actually saw you at the time of your appointment.

I dumped a health care professional last year because I got tired of sitting in the waiting room. Let me tell you a little secret: many doctors and dentists deliberately over-book to make up for last minute cancellations. That's all well and good. I also understand that doctors and dentists sometimes underestimate the time a patient needs once they're in the office, and emergencies arise.

The last straw with the health care provider I mentioned earlier came when I had a 9:00 AM appointment, and I was still cooling my heels in the waiting room at 9:30 AM. No explanation. No apology. Nothing. Running late and getting backed up as the day drags on is understandable, but at 9:00 AM? I walked out the door and never looked back. A relationship that lasted about 25 years came to an end. Loyalty is a two way street, and I felt my business was no longer appreciated. On top of that, it wasn't the first time happened. As the years passed, there was an ever increasing difference in the appointment time, and the time you actually were helped. I don't expect special treatment. I do expect to be treated fairly. It's too bad. I really liked that health care provider and his work. We'd been together a very long time, but I do have my limits.

The newspaper story made my blood boil. Maybe I should see a doctor.