Thursday, October 2, 2008

Flu Shot and Photo Shoot


It's been a busy, and semi-unpleasant couple days.

I had to scoot out of the office yesterday afternoon to make a doctor's appointment. A few things were on the agenda, including a flu shot. As dead flu viruses circulate through my system, I admit, I'm feeling okay.

The doctor must have read my recent blog about spending interminable amounts of time in the waiting room of doctor's and dentist's offices. I spent only about two minutes in the lobby before I was ushered into the inner sanctum, and that has to be a record.

I don't like doctors. Shots don't thrill me, but that stuff was pleasant when compared to my Wednesday morning task.

The station is shooting new video of most on-air employees. The video will be more digital friendly.

I've been in broadcasting since 1981. If you count college radio, 1979. Apologies to my co-workers, who are tired of hearing "age/experience" references out of me. Anyway, in spite of all the time on the air, I've never gotten used to how I've sounded and how I've looked. I hate it. I'm never happy. I'd rather get a flu shot every day than endure a photo session. The station is great by working to make sure its people look good during these things, but I absolutely despise the process-- the phony poses, the fake grin. Luckily, we learned of the photo shoot just a couple days ago, so I didn't have a lot of time to stress out over it.

Yeah, I have a tough job.

Smile.