Friday, November 28, 2008

Black and Green


Today is a day filled with crowds, noise, panic, greed, excess, traffic and insanity. It is everything I despise. It is Black Friday. Outside of a mini mart for an out-of-town newspaper or two, you won't find me anywhere near a retail establishment today.


Last week was NBC Universal's "Green is Universal" week. All of the company's properties, including The Weather Channel, had "save the planet" related programming. I do my best to be environmentally responsible, but I resent having it shoved down my throat the way NBC Universal did last week. The icing on the cake was NBC Universal cutting the environmental unit at The Weather Channel. The Washington Post says 60 to 80 people lost their jobs. It seems the only green NBC Universal really cares about is money.

If it wasn't so tragic, it would be funny-- axe the environmental unit during the same week you say how much you love the planet.