Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Specials


Thanksgiving is a memory, so it's time to turn our attention toward Christmas.

I'm not much of a holiday person, but "A Charlie Brown Christmas" always brings a smile to my face. There has never been a better Christmas special. This is the show's 40th anniversary, and you can see it twice on ABC-- December 8th and 16th. Do yourself a favor and watch it again. It never gets old.



A close second is "A Pinky and the Brain Christmas" from back in 1993. It ran on the old WB network. I did a quick search the other morning. You can buy a VHS copy on Amazon.com, and it's also available for on-line viewing. It's a show kids and adults can both enjoy, and the closing never fails to bring a tear to my eye. It is just so well done. "Pinky and the Brain" won Emmys during its time on the air, and I can easily see why.

There are many times the Christmas spirit can be elusive. A good television special can be just what you needed.