Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow


As I write this, late Thursday night, the forecast calls for six to ten inches of snow.

Yuk!

I'm trying to look on the bright side. At least it shifts the bad economic news to the back burner for a little while. It seems to get worse every day. The latest thing is the White House suggesting a bankruptcy filing for the big auto makers as a way to lead them to financial stability. I never thought I'd see the day, but it looks like it's going to happen. It's funny to say, but bankruptcy does have its advantages. It clears the deck for a fresh start. Still, I truly wonder if it really is a fresh start, or the beginning of the same issues that got us here in the first place.

I did my best to help the economy and fight the storm. Christmas shopping is complete. I grabbed a few odds and ends yesterday, after some serious shopping on Monday.

I'm like a lot of people-- putting purchases on a credit card and paying it off at the end of the month. What ever happened to checking signatures on the backs of credit cards to see if they match what you sign in the store? When did we stop doing that? Are retail workers lazy or do they have faith in the electronic system that kicks out a stolen or lost card? Hey, store managers and business owners, have your workers check signatures. I do understand that it might be a waste of time. I can't sign the screen with one of those electronic pens, and produce something that can be read, anyway.