Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009


I took my usual morning walk yesterday, and I kept thinking about what Andy Tripp Palumbo will remember about 2008.

No "single" story really jumped out at me. I will remember all the fatal fires we had. I can't recall a year when there were so many.

Politics dominated the year, and I was surprised at how much fun I had covering the election. This was my third presidential election at WNEP. For the first two, most of the events happened either outside my shift, or on my days off. This year was a little different and I had a hand in some of the coverage. From a reporter's standpoint, covering politics isn't what it used to be. The campaigns are too restrictive, too controlling. Security's tight. If you can get near a candidate, the answers they give are scripted. There's no spontaneity, no spark. However, in spite of it all, I have to say I really enjoyed myself.

It wasn't just the presidential race. The election on all levels was great theater. I watched a candidate self destruct. The struggle of others was fascinating. There was even time to do something highly unusual-- discuss the issues.

Thanks for being along for the ride in 2008. Let's hope we all have a happy and safe 2009.