Friday, January 2, 2009

An Anniversary


Time flies. Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the start of my first full time job in broadcasting.

The story gets a tad complicated. I started at WARM in April of 1981, when I was a sophomore in college. By the time I graduated, in May of '83, I was putting in nearly 40 hours a week. Management was reluctant, for whatever reason, to give me the hours for full time status-- until I quit to go the competition. Guess what? They found the money in the budget to make me full time, and that kicked in on January 1 of 1984.

I was paid the princely sum of $9,800 a year. Back then, it seemed like a lot of money and I was thrilled to have it.

It was a good job. People actually listened to AM radio back then. The station was owned by a fairly decent company. I was what was called the "swing man." I was a disc jockey when needed and I did news the rest of the time. I eventually settled in to the news department for a pretty good ride, until I moved on in September of '91.

25 years have passed like the blink of an eye.