Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Normal


Yesterday was the first "real" weekday of the new year. Friday doesn't count because it was directly after the start of 2009, and most people had the day off.

The atmosphere around the office, around the supermarket, around the mall, everywhere is different. It's business as usual. People are settling into the reality that the holidays are over, and a long, cold, dark January is ahead.

You know what? I'm okay with that. As I write this, the nastiest month of the year is 20 per cent over. The days are getting longer, and it's nice to work without the holiday distractions.

Call me "Scrooge."

The holidays are nice, but they take a lot of effort. After all your tasks are done, there's not much time left to enjoy the season. I had a lot of extra time off last month, and I still didn't accomplish half of what I had hoped.

I'm glad it's over.