Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Alex Rodriguez


It wasn't what he did, but rather, how he did it.

Sports Illustrated broke the story over the weekend. New York Yankees' third baseman, Alex Rodriguez, the highest paid player in baseball, tested positive for steroids.

Rodriguez took performance enhancing drugs from 2001 to 2003, while he played for the Texas Rangers. Steroids were NOT banned by major league baseball at the time.

Rodriguez' steroid use was unethical, but not illegal, at least according to Major League Baseball.

Here's what bugs me. Rodriguez lied in interview after interview, most notably, the one on "60 Minutes." The lies bother me more than the steroid use, and Rodriguez came clean only after he was outed.

I've never been a Rodriguez fan, but I do respect his talent. For some strange reason, I've been wondering why I'm cutting A-Rod some slack here. Then, it came to me.

What if someone offered me a shot in the arse that would give be the skills, ability, and wisdom of Edward R. Murrow? It's the journalism equivalent of a baseball player taking steroids. A chance to be the next Murrow? Show me where to drop my pants! Okay, I'm exaggerating, but it would be tempting.

Baseball's banned steroids, so those caught violating the rule should be booted out of the game.

Otherwise, good night, and good luck.