Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Changes


Turn and face the strange...

As you've probably heard by now, we're doubling the length of our weekday morning broadcast. It begins March 5. It's guaranteed to be a success. Want to know why? It's because I have nothing to do with it. In fact, the longer broadcast begins while I'm on vacation.

I had the pleasure of producing "Newswatch 16 This Morning" yesterday, so it was up to me to write the story, trumpeting the expansion and some other broadcast/cable related issues. I have a few more grey hairs this morning. It was a tough issue to explain quickly, and in a conversational manner. I tried. I hope we made the point.

Sirius/XM has found an investor to keep it out of bankruptcy court, and that's a good thing. I'm a huge fan of satellite radio. Chapter 11 wouldn't have meant an end to satellite radio, but I'd rather see the company out of chapter 11 rather than in it. Like a lot of people, I can't get what I need from terrestrial radio, and that's just sad. I spent the first 11 years of my "career" in radio. It's my first love. Unfortunately, it's gone to you know where.

Another Luzerne County Courthouse thief has pleaded guilty. I can't wait for the sentence on this one. the guy was stealing for ten years, according to federal authorities. TEN YEARS!!! How many people were asleep at the switch at the Luzerne County Courthouse, or how many knew what was happening, and chose to look the other way? You deserve better.

Alex Rodriguez dripped with insincerity during his "yes, I used steroids" news conference yesterday, but at least he had the onions to sit there and take questions. Many of those answers were evasive. I guess we should be happy Rodriguez made an appearance. As for the punishment, let him go. The statute of limitations has expired. Warn Rodriguez and other players that if they're caught, they're out for a full season. The current penalty for first time offenders is a 50 game suspension. It's not enough. The real blame lies with the owners and the commissioner. They had to know what was going on.