Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Something Stinks


No, this isn't a blog about the Luzerne County Courthouse. I apologize for the misleading title. It is my annual "harbinger of spring" blog.

It hit me like a brick in the forehead the other morning. As I walked to my car at 2:30 AM, I smelled a skunk. As I've written in the past, skunks get a little randy and hungry in the springtime (who doesn't?). I view the first skunk aroma as the first sign of approaching spring. It's a good thing.

Speaking of scents, I do a fair amount of walking. It's amazing how many different brands of dryer fabric softener sheets your nose can pick up while walking around town. They all seem a little strong to me. I like my clothes to smell like nothing.

Okay, I lied. I do have to make mention of the Luzerne County Courthouse. The vast majority of the workers there are decent, honest and hard working people. It's unfortunate to see all employees lumped in with the bad ones. Eventually, the honest workers and the thieves will be separated. It can't happen soon enough. Hang in there. It's terrible to see people lose their jobs due to the budget issues, but governments are the same as private sector businesses. Money's tight.