Friday, March 6, 2009

The Best of Time


Daylight Saving Time begins Sunday at 2:00 AM. It is one of my favorite weekends of the year. While you lose an hour of sleep, I lose an hour of work. I'll pay for it in November, when standard time returns, and my shift is extended by one hour.

At one time, I loved DST. Who doesn't appreciate later sunsets? I don't. Let me explain. I have two wake up times-- either 10:00 PM or 2:00 AM. I'd rather see that daylight in the early morning, when I'm working. I do realize I'm in the minority here, so if you're happy, I'm happy.

This is a photo of the big clock tower at the old Scranton Lace Co. factory. It pains me to see the building rot away. There are plans to do something with it on the drawing board, but nothing seems imminent. However, I did see a couple suits prowling around yesterday afternoon, so maybe something is in the works. The complex is too massive for a total make over, and it is in the flood plain. Maybe part can be saved, including the clock tower. Make a park out of the rest. It's too historic to lose.