Sunday, April 5, 2009

Everything Old is New Again


As noted here and elsewhere, "The Guiding Light" disappears from the CBS schedule in September.

"TV Week" reports "The $25,000 Pyramid" is one of the candidates to replace it. Words cannot express my glee.

"Pyramid" is a darn fine game. A 2002 revival, with Donny Osmond wasn't bad-- but, it was too high tech, too dark, too rushed, too gimmicky. Osmond turned out to be a pretty good game show host.

The only network game show out there right now is "The Price is Right." I don't get a chance to see it often. When I do turn in, I've noticed that Drew Carey has proven to be a nice replacement for Bob Barker.

The syndicated games run from awful to decent. "Trivial Pursuit" and "Family Feud" often border on unwatchable. I do enjoy "Millionaire" and "Deal or No Deal" from time to time, and not just because they're on WNEP. "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy" continue to have a large following. "Wheel" bores me. "Jeopardy" is an all time classic.

As for the Game Show Network's first run shows, the only one really worth watching is "Lingo."

It comes down to this-- it's time for a "Pyramid" revival, and I hope the producers stay true to the show's roots.