Saturday, April 4, 2009

WYOU R.I.P.


In case you haven't heard by now, WYOU eliminated its news operation. The lights went out after the Friday night 11:00 pm broadcast.

I spent about 7 years at WYOU. It was my first television station, and it will always have a special place in my heart. It was home, and even though I moved on to other things, seeing the station wither and die is painful.

Some would think I'm happy a competitor has fallen by the wayside. I'm not. Competition makes everyone stronger. Some very good people lost their jobs.

I'm not going to get into the reasons behind this. That discussion is for others, those with access to the ratings and the revenue.

My heart goes out to the people who tried to make it work, in spite of roadblocks put in their way. You tried your best, but sometimes, even your best isn't good enough.