Friday, May 8, 2009

My Finale


Regular blog readers know I'm a huge "Scrubs" fan, so I feel bound to pass along some thoughts on Wednesday night's final episode.

The series ended on a high note. JD resigns from Sacred Heart to take a job closer to his son. The best scene was close to the end, when JD walks down a hospital hallway, remembering all his patients and co-workers over the last eight years.

Note that he leaves the hospital alone. The series' theme song, "Superman" by Lazlo Bane has a line that says "I can't do this all on my own." JD leaves with the ability to do a lot of things on his own.

I had a minor quibble with the "flash forward" sequence. It was a tad long, but it was nice to see JD winds up with Elliot. The executive producer/head writer/creator had said it wasn't on his radar, but the show's fans wanted it.

There aren't many shows that can make you laugh, cry, and laugh again in the same half hour.

The show succeeded because it was real.

It was a great run.