Monday, June 1, 2009

100


The Luzerne County Courthouse is 100 years old today. Yes, I took the picture above, and I didn't do anything to it. No color tweak. It was just a good looking day.

I don't remember my first time in the building, but I do remember it was as a young radio reporter, in the very early 80's.

It's a spectacular building, and an intimidating building. I didn't know my way around. I didn't know anyone. A former co-worker used to ride me because I thought all the county's judges looked the same-- all white haired old men, and I couldn't tell them apart, except for Arthur Dalessandro. I remembered him because he was bald. There's nothing wrong with that.

Eventually, and with a lot of help, I did find my around.

I have to level with you. Courthouse stories are not my favorite. I was overloaded with them several years ago, during a series of homicide trials.

That doesn't diminish the importance of what goes on there.

When we talk about the courthouse today, it's frequently in a negative context. You can thank a pair of thieving judges and a few other assorted criminals for that. It's unfortunate because some good things do happen there.

If you've never been to the Luzerne County Courthouse, drop by for a look around. It's a cliche, but they don't build them like that any more. Don't just think about the archecticure. Think about justice, and how we all depend on it.