Monday, July 6, 2009

Admission


This one slipped under the radar last week.

The Pennsylvania State Museum in Harrisburg, for the first time in its history, is charging admission. It started July 1st-- $3 for adults, and $2 for kids and seniors.

It's funny. A co-worker and I were discussing the museum a few days ago. I remarked how I paid a visit a few years ago, and it hadn't changed since I was a kid. The civil war uniforms and Indian canoe are still there, and I suspect they'll always be there.

The admission fee is more a psychological thing than anything else. A big part of me believes it should still be free. On the other hand, a few bucks from every visitor could mean a better museum. Still, fiscal responsibility and improvements, and state government rarely go hand in hand.

I came across this photo on the internet. Clearly, it's not recent and it's not mine. Check out the cars on the street.

Getting to Harrisburg for a photography expedition is always on my list of things to do. Unfortunately, when I have the time, it's either raining, I'm too tired, or both.