Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Found It !


I really have nothing to say today (What else is new?), but there is a reason for this blog.

I knew I took pictures of the new turf going down at Lackawanna County Stadium a couple years ago, but I couldn't find them.

After some deductive reasoning and a little searching, I found the file. March 22, 2007. The infield sod was in. The outfield was still grass-less and covered with drainage sand.

I saw in the Allentown Morning Call that Iron Pigs fans were lining up for tickets to the games that were supposed to be played here. Some people got to the Coca Cola Park box office three hours before it opened! Yes, AAA baseball is still new to the Lehigh Valley, and the stadium is only in its second season. The novelty remains. I hope that enthusiasm is eventually re-captured in these parts. It's not going to be easy. There is a lot of blame going around, but no real solutions, and no guarantees AAA baseball will be here after the 2010 season. Good luck selling tickets next year, for a lame duck team.

Enjoy your weekend. See you in the morning.