Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Two Weekends


It's a question I get a lot, and it's usually just people in the office making small talk. I really don't mind. That question is "How was your weekend?"

I usually say the same thing in response: "Work weekend or whopee weekend?"

My work week includes Saturdays and Sundays, so even though it's the weekend, it really isn't.

My days off are Wednesday, Thursday, and part of Friday. That's my weekend, even though it likely isn't yours.

I spend "work weekends" at the office. "Whopee weekends" consist of time away from work.

Yes, it can be confusing-- especially for people who ask me the question.

There isn't much "whopee" in "whopee weekends" these days. Time off is reserved for walking, sleeping, and re-charging the battery. I'm okay with that. I'm not complaining. Sleep is good. No, sleep is great.

Even though my life is generally opposite of the lives people lead in the rest of the world, it does have its charm. First, it's the best excuse for getting out of all those social engagements you despise. "I can't. I have to work." The malls, banks, post offices, mechanic, dentist, hotels, parks, etc. are never crowded when I have time off. It's a blessing for someone who hates to be part of large groups of people.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a "whopee weekend" that needs attention.