Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Day Late


I'm not what you could consider a huge fan, but I really do like trains and industrial history. That's why it was disappointing I couldn't get to Steamtown's RailFest over the weekend. My interest was piqued when I learned an Amtrak passenger train would be there. The sleek engines and steel passenger cars are among my favorites, and it's likely the engine was manufactured by GE in Erie. As many of you know, I'm a fan of Erie.

I pulled the overnight shift at the TV station Sunday night into Monday morning. I hung around the office for a bit after my shift ended, waiting for the sun to rise. I dropped by Steamtown on my way home.

I was in luck. The Amtrak engine, with its passenger cars, new and old, behind were still at the park. It was still a little dark, and the sky was filled with clouds. However, my camera is very forgiving, and I managed to get some decent pictures.

Yes, I was a day late, and my visit was extremely short, but I'm still happy I got a chance to see one of my favorite trains in person.

If I waited an hour, I could have seen the Amtrak passenger train in motion, but I was dragging and needed a little sleep.