Monday, September 21, 2009

Follow Up File


Just a few updates for you this morning...

A while back, I wrote about the "Blogging Through a Layoff" blog on the Allentown Morning Call's web site. Happily, the author, Paula Beck, has found a new job. The Morning Call is looking for someone to take over the project. I fear there will be no shortage of takers.

Congratulations to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees. The team made it all the way to the International League finals, only to be swept by the Durham Bulls. The team did well, in spite of political bickering, questionable leadership, a soggy field, a summer of bad weather, and apparent indifference on the part of the fans. Attendance at Thursday night's game in Moosic: 1,500. That's not right.

When I was a kid, WDAU's news had an "Eyesore of the Week" feature. The 2009 version? "Indictment of the Week." Thieving school directors bug me. While they, allegedly, didn't send kids to a detention center for money, like Conahan and Ciavarella, they did make money off your kids. They did it by selling jobs and taking cash for awarding contracts. That's not right, either.

Just after Labor Day, I wrote of my fondness for GE locomotives-- the ones used by Amtrak. Many of those engines were built in Erie, one of my favorite places. Last week, GE announced it's chopping 1,500 people from the Erie payroll.

I've caught a little more of NBC's new 10 PM Jay Leno Show. A source in the NBC family tells me the broadcast isn't expected to be number one. I now have no doubt they'll be able to meet that expectation. The show looks great. Leno is an extremely likable guy. Some of the stuff is moderately funny. The problem: just about all of the competition is better.