Friday, September 4, 2009

Mixed Signals


This is La Festa Italiana weekend in downtown Scranton, a fun and delicious event that draws thousands to the city.

I popped into Scranton early Wednesday afternoon to snap a few photos. One thing jumped out at me. Even though Courthouse Square gave up several spaces due to the tents, it was still easy to find a place to park. The parking garage at the corner of Linden and North Washington was nearly empty. If you need proof we're in a recession, just take a look around.

I was in my typical "day off" uniform, unshaven and untucked. Just my luck. I saw several people I know. They must think I've fallen on tough times. Not yet. I'm okay.

After Courthouse Square, I zipped over to the Steamtown National Historic Site. A common Steamtown complaint: it never changes. This is RailFest weekend. An Amtrak passenger train is due to make an appearance, and I love those things-- stainless steel as far as the eye could see. I knew it was a long shot on Wednesday. The train was still a few days away. Due to work, I'm not sure I can get there to see it.

Snow will be flying before you know it. We had a lousy summer. Get out this weekend, and enjoy the very early fall.