Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Good Byes


Today's topic is change, and I apologize for the crooked picture above.  I have no explanation.

Sunshine Market on Route 315 in Plains Township closes, for good, soon.  I think I've been there about six times.  It's a fine store.  It's simply out of my way, but I did find a moment to stop by one last time yesterday.

The shelves are nearly bare.  The remaining items are 25 per cent off.  It's the brightest ghost town I've ever seen.

While I was a rare visitor here, I do remember several trips to Sunshine Market's previous incarnations, with my aunt, as a kid.

The owners want to get out of the business.  While it's sad to see the store go, and I feel for the people who will lose their jobs, it's difficult to shed a lot of tears.  The building and the land are worth a lot of money.  There's a strong rumor Mohegan Sun will establish a golf course on the site.  If they don't, no doubt someone will want it.  It's a big building on a busy highway.

It was nice while it lasted.  By the way, my final Sunshine Market purchase was a 12 pack of diet tangerine soda, which is beyond awful.

>>>UPDATE:  Sunshine Market closes Saturday.

The city of Pittston is undergoing a lot of changes these days.  The building you see above, at William and North Main, is coming down.  It's time.  The building's been in tough shape for a while. I don't know what will go in its place.  Judging by other recent demolition projects in Pittston, I'm guessing it will be a parking lot.



The demolition you see above is a bit more controversial.  The rubble you see used to be the rectory of St. John the Baptist Church in William Street.  A fellow blogger says the church, at the right of the photo, is next on the hit list. The Diocese of Scranton closed the church a couple years ago.

First, when does a church stop being a church, and become an empty building?

My blogger friend says he's been told the Diocese can't sell the building.  Putting emotions aside, I can understand that.  Converting a big, old church into another use takes time and money.  Both are in short supply these days.  No doubt it's easier for the Diocese to sell an empty lot rather than an empty former church.


Still, there are a lot of memories here, and I feel sorry to the former parishioners who have to watch a big part of their lives disappear.