Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Best Guess


I'm terrible at picking football games, but I'll render my opinion anyway.  That's what blogs are for.

The Jets can make things interesting, but I think the Colts will win and make it to the Super Bowl in two weeks.  The Jets should be proud of the run they made.  It wouldn't ruin my day if my pick is incorrect.  I do love the 'dogs.

As noted earlier, I'm pulling for the Saints in the NFL post season.  New Orleans is one of five teams never to appear in a Super Bowl.  My guess is the Saints' record will remain intact.  The Vikings win and go to Miami on February 7th.   Again, I hope I'm wrong.

A Jets/Saints Super Bowl would be interesting, at least for me.  I don't think I'll get my way.  It'll be the Vikings and the Colts in the big game.  The Peyton Manning/Brett Favre match-up will draw quite an audience.

I'd like to say this is my last entry on the NBC late night mess, but I don't think it will be.  Conan O'Brien did his last "Tonight" show Friday.  While this was poorly handled by NBC, the network had no choice.  Jay Leno didn't get numbers at 10:00 PM, but he did at 11:30.  O'Brien bombed at 11:30, and published reports say he resisted suggestions on how to tweak his show for the 11:30 crowd.

I was never a Conan fan, and I held out hope for Conan's "Tonight" show for a while.  That opening night "running cross country" bit was funny.  The show went down hill after that.

I caught most of Conan's farewell show Friday night.  While he took some well deserved shots at NBC, Conan, for the most part, took the high road.  It was a good final broadcast.

My best guess is Leno gets some of the audience back at 11:30, but not all of it.  Once people depart, it's hard to get them back.

As for David Letterman, some of his comments on the NBC situation have been wickedly funny, but other things he's said made him look like a petty, childish jackass.  In spite of it all, Letterman remains the best late night choice.

If you really want to laugh, tune in the Reelz channel on cable and satellite.  That's where you can catch "Carson's Comedy Classics" a couple times a day.  It's a cut down version of some of Johnny's old "Tonight" show routines.  And, yes, it's still funny after all these years.