Saturday, February 6, 2010

Oldies

Today, it's WQFM, or Oldies 92.

I can speak volumes on this, so I'll try to be brief.

The owner dumped "Oldies" a couple years ago, and went with a contemporary format, called "The Q" or something like that.  It never gained traction, possibly because management didn't give it enough time.  Anyway, the oldies returned last year, only the station is now called "Cool 92."

Oldies is one of the toughest formats to do well.  The biggest reason is there's no new product coming in.  You have to make old songs sound fresh, even though you play them over and over and over again.  It's not easy.

I always hated it when stations call themselves "oldies."  That just sounds so stale.  Cool is good.  So is something like "solid gold."  "Classics" also works.

While the music on 92.1 is good, I'm not thrilled with the presentation.  There are no local announcers.  The format is piped in via satellite, and the jocks are disgustingly milquetoast.  They say nothing, and take too long to do it.

I'm not sure my radio brethren feel the same way, but it feels funny when I hear songs on the oldies stations that I played on the radio when they were new.