Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Parade Day

I was going to save this one for the end of the week, but it's been slow.  I'll burn off the topic today.

Saturday is the 49th annual Scranton St. Patrick's Day Parade.

A lot of bars open early.  I hope they'll be checking ID's at the door. 

I'm proposing a Parade Day law.  Card everyone.  Keep the kids out of the bars.  Also, throw out the people who are too old to drink like fools.   30 would be a good cut-off point.

The system does have its flaws.  Some will argue that older adults can handle their alcohol better.  I'm not so sure.

I do believe that you can have a couple beers and be responsible at the same time.

The issue is controlling the excess.  We are a free country.  There's nothing government can do to keep you from acting like an idiot.

Go to the parade.  Have a good time.  See some old friends.  Act your age.

I'm not Irish, but it does trouble me that a family friendly display of Irish heritage has turned into an all day and night drinking party.

I've been to the parade many times.  The vast majority of people there behave themselves.  Somehow, the drinking has taken center stage and it's obliterated everything else.

It's not too late to turn things around.