Thursday, May 20, 2010

Science!


I've mentioned the University of Scranton's new science building here in the past.  It appears the steel skeleton is complete.

In these difficult economic times, it seems colleges and universities are the only ones with money to spend.  The U's project is interesting on several levels.  The construction provides jobs.  A new science building makes the U more attractive for students.  Enrollment increases, and all those students spend money in the area.

Something else jumped out at me during a leisurely drive Tuesday evening.  The new building really helps improve the look of the entrance to the city.  It really strikes you when you travel on the Central Scranton Expressway.  I especially noticed it as I headed toward the downtown on Pittston Avenue.  I didn't have my good camera with me, so this shot is from my camera phone, taken at Pittston Avenue and Front Street.

The finished product should be very nice for the university-- and the city.