Monday, July 5, 2010

Bridge Work

If you've even been even a casual reader of the blog, you know my interests generally come down to trains, blimps, and construction projects.

I was passing by the new Eighth Street bridge over the Susquehanna, between Wyoming and Jenkins Township the other day.  Luckily, I had my good camera with me, and I took a few pictures.  This is the view, looking west to east.

Below, east to west.

The new, concrete bridge is on the left.  The old, steel one, is on the right.

The Eighth Street bridge is a nice shortcut across the valley, but it was never one of my favorites.  I didn't have confidence in the traction on a steel decked bridge, and it was far too narrow.  I'm happy to see it replaced, but, on the other hand, I was sorry to see some homes and businesses demolished in the process.

That's progress.  Everything has a price.

It should be open late this year, or in early 2011.