Thursday, July 8, 2010

Professor APAL

I had a chance to teach a college course a few years ago, but I had to decline.  It just didn't fit into my schedule.  It continually gnaws at me because it was something I really wanted to do.  Who's teaching the kids?

I actually heard this sentence in a broadcast news report, on a homicide, the other night:  "They (police) add that their investigation will continue."  This awful, awful, awful sentence followed a short paragraph on how police have yet to make an arrest in the homicide.

The investigation will continue.  Gee!  Ya think?  What earth shattering news!

You can't make this stuff up.  What a startling revelation-- police will continue their investigation into a homicide where they haven't made an arrest.  Is there anybody looking at this stuff before it gets on the air?  This is as much a managment failure as it is the "writer" responsible for the original piece of work.

Let me clue you in on a dirty little secret, and I'm risking my professional "career" by telling you this.  Broadcast writing isn't hard.  It's just a series of simple sentences.  Be clear.  Be concise.  Less is more.  Make sure what you're talking about matches the video on the screen.  Write the story, and if you have the luxury of time, walk away for a couple minutes.  Come back.  Take another look.  Chances are there's something you can eliminate.  Boom!  Done.  If you're a high school student, considering going to college for broadcasting, I just saved you and your parents thousands of dollars.

I once worked for an extremely wise news director.  He had something programmed into the computer system.   It was a "welcome" message that hit the screen as soon as you signed on.  It said "tight writing = top casts."  I've never forgotten that.

TV stations are invaded by interns every summer.  Many, most, have been great.  Others?  Well, let's just say I wonder what they're learning in college because their professors are clearly out of touch with what's going on out there.  They're not prepared for the real world.

Here's where "reporters" run in to trouble.  Remember, it's not about you.  It's about the news.  Most standard broadcast news reports are about a minute and a half.  Some stories are worth a lot less, so don't pad your story with excessive words.  It is what it is.   Don't talk down to the viewers.  Write tight.  Economy of words.  There was only one Shakespeare.  The investigation continues.  Really?  It's news if the investigation doesn't continue.

Yes, I've made my share of mistakes.

TV news viewership around the country has been slipping, and it's not hard to figure out why.