Monday, July 19, 2010

School Days

The building where I attended kindergarten is now an apartment building.

The place where I attended first and second grade was torn down decades ago.  There's a house there now.

There's a relatively new civic center, which was built after the school where I attended grades 3, 4, and 5, was demolished.

I could write a book where about the horrible place where I attended 6th grade.  It was half elementary school, half high school, and all hideous.  The building was condemned by the state as a fire hazard.  It was torn down before it could burn down.  The school board should have been sentenced to spend an eternity there for the crime of forcing kids to spend their day in a decrepit, dangerous, old building.  I hated every second there, and that's putting it mildly.  I used to have a little countdown, written in the back of one of my tablets-- the days left until I was able to get out of there.  If there's a hell, I'm sure it looks just like the old Olyphant Elementary.  I hoped that after it was torn down, salt would have been plowed into the ground so nothing would grow there ever again.  It's now an empty lot.

A building where I spent most of my high school time, across the street from Fire Trap Elementary, was turned into apartments for the elderly.

If you notice, I'm leaving out my junior high school, grades 7, 8, and 9.  The building in Dickson City, though empty, still stands, but not for long.
There were plans to turn the first floor into a police station, with community activity space above.

It's not going to happen.  Dickson City council announced plans just last week to tear it down.  I was told years ago that the building needed a new roof, and no one had the money to pay for it.


As you know from reading this blog for the past five and a half years, I can get sentimental over the silliest things, but if they need assistance tearing this place down, give me a call.  I'll help.  No charge.