Tuesday, August 3, 2010

And So it Begins-- and Ends

The average daily high for August 3 is 83 degrees.  Tomorrow, it drops to 82, and it keeps going down until the early days of February.

The sun isn't the only one smiling today.

As I've noted in this space before, I don't enjoy summer as much as I once did.  I work overnights and early mornings.  It's my choice.  Sleep comes easier when it's dark and cold, and you don't appreciate the importance of sleep until you work an unusual schedule.

A letter carrier once told me he likes cold weather better than warm, and I was a bit surprised.  He reasoned that you can always add clothing when it's cold.  There are limits as to how much you can take off when it's hot.  Maybe I'd like summer more if we could get those laws changed.

Of course, and unfortunately, snow and ice are part of the cold weather package.  I'm not a fan of winter precipitation because it limits my mobility.

I'm also not thrilled with those high home heating bills.

For many years, I participated in live coverage of an early August NASCAR festival in Corning, NY.  In all my years in the biz, it was on the very short list of favorite things to do.  When the town moved the festival to another part of town, it created some logistical issues, so my yearly TV assignment north of the border came to an end.  Anyway, I'd blow into town a day or two before the festival.  Corning is a really nice place, and I tried to make the most of my visits.  I'd always stop at the mall in Horseheads before going to the TV station, and Penney's would be putting out its winter coats at this time of year.  It was an eye opener.  Fall is coming.  It doesn't last long enough.

Weather is one of the really nice things about this part of the country.  No matter how you feel about the hot and the cold, you have to love the variety.

On Friday, I promised a few notes on ABC's "This Week" with new host Christiane Amanpour.

It's the same show we've seen over the last few years, and that's okay.  It works.  The only thing different is the host, and Amanpour had a strong debut.

The opening segment, an interview with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, was the only soft spot.  Pelosi was evasive, and Amanpour let her get away with it.

The second interview, with Defense Secretary Robert Gates, was much better, and it played to Amanpour's strength-- international reporting.

By the way, on Friday, I wrote about the differences between national and international news.  We'd better get used to those two being identical.  Money problems in Europe affect us here at home.  Terrorism.  War.  Alleged global warming.  Immigration.  Energy.  It's all the same.  One planet.  There are very few strictly "national" issues any more.

Amanpour handled the round table discussion well, and I'm disappointed they kept that time waster known as the "Sunday Funnies."

Tom Shales of the Washington Post says Amanpour has been miscast as anchor of this broadcast.  I won't go that far.  Clearly, Amanpour is a stronger reporter than anchor.  It's possible for someone to grow into the role, as George Stephanopolous did when he took over for Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts.  It took a while, but Stephanopolous did eventually make the show his own, and I believe moving him to "Good Morning America" was not in the network's best interests.

Two other things-- the show has a new theme and it's really, really good.

Unfortunately, they still do the broadcast out of what looks like a closet at the Newseum in Washington, DC.  The camera angles are horrible and not flattering to the panel.  Amanpour's hand and reading glasses were frequently in the frame when other people were talking.  It looked amateurish.  Being in the Newseum adds nothing to the broadcast.  Move it into a real studio.