Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bad Photography Saturday


When I think of Olyphant, I think of three things.  The first is my old school, and I've written more than enough about that recently.

Second, growing up, it seemed there was a bar on every corner.  Many of the bars remain.  I'm not complaining.

The third is the abundance of spectacular churches in that mid valley community.  Above is All Saints Orthodox Church on Willow Street.  You can't take your eyes off the blue domes on top.  The church was damaged by fire a few years back.  It's nice to know a very nice building was renovated and is still around.

In respect to accuracy, Ss. Cyril and Methodius Church just down the street will pop up on a Bad Photography Saturday in the weeks to come.  I know the pointed things on top of Catholic churches are called "steeples."  I called Ss. Cyril and Methodius to find out the proper term for the rounded structures on top of Orthodox and Russian churches.  I've heard "bulbs."  I've heard "onions."  I wanted to be both respectful and correct.  The person at the church told me to use the word "domes."  So, "domes," it is.