Monday, August 23, 2010

Your Time is Up

Most schools re-open one week from today.  Way back when, when I was in school, I used to engage in a silly little game, beginning in early August.  I'd try to get up a little earlier, every week, so the return to a school schedule wouldn't be such a shock to my system.

It never worked.

If you're going to get up earlier, you have to get to sleep earlier.  That was the fly in the ointment.  I was always out in the evening, hanging with my friends.  Nothing major-- just sitting on the front porch, watching the world go by, and walking around town for a closer look.

There was only one way to handle the new school schedule-- cold turkey.  The first couple weeks would be rough, but you'd eventually adjust.

You had to do it the old fashioned way.  There was no Ambien or Lunesta for evenings, no Red Bull or 5 Hour Energy for the morning.

After the adjustment was made, you realized it wasn't so bad.  Only nine more months until the end of the school year.