Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Amtrak



You knew I couldn't go more than a few days without a train picture.

My work schedule prevented me from attending RailFest 2010 at the Steamtown, but I did sneak down after work Monday morning, just after sunrise.

Luckily, one of my favorites was there, an Amtrak passenger train, led by a sleek GE engine.  It was likely manufactured in Erie, one of my favorite places.

The fact that we rarely see trains like this is sad in and of itself.  The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area should have some passenger service.  I'm not sure that long, long proposed line from the Poconos to Hoboken is the answer.  Just do the math.  With all the stops it's supposed to make, it would take an eternity to reach your destination.

Be happy for what we have-- a yearly look at one of the gems of the transportation business.