Friday, September 3, 2010

My Name is Earl

While knowing that there are people in harm's way is troubling, I have to admit that tracking a hurricane is interesting stuff.

There are frequent updates via internet.  There's a truckers' channel on my satellite radio.  It's fascinating hearing truckers call in to see how people are reacting to the approaching storm, how conditions are deteriorating, traffic, etc.

That brings us to television.  You know how I feel about those drama kings and queens on The Weather Channel.  I did sample the offerings of several Atlantic coast television stations that stream their newscasts.  The good ones are urgent without being alarmist.  They ran the spectrum yesterday.  Some stations are more promo than content.  They're out to frighten the viewers because they don't have anything of substance to say, and they're unable to put the approaching storm into context.  Luckily, Earl is far enough away that we haven't seen any of that "reporter standing in hurricane force winds" silliness.

It looks like we could get some rain from Earl.  We'll give you the information without the drama.

I have to admit that I was skeptical of last week's forecast saying a cold front would knock Earl out to sea, and our area would not be affected.   To be on the safe side, I got my boots out of the closet and stocked up on Pop Tarts.  I'm happy to say the boots have been returned to the closet, and the Pop Tarts will be nibbled away for weeks to come.  The forecasters got this one right.  Thank you.

While I'm on the subject of Earl, you can see reruns of the sitcom "My Name is Earl" in a few different places.  I manage to catch an episode during the afternoon of my days off.  The first couple seasons were outrageously funny, mostly thanks to the performance of Jaime Pressly, the woman who played Earl's ex-wife.

Unfortunately, a hurricane is no laughing matter.  Good luck to those affected by Earl.