Monday, October 25, 2010

Does It Really Work?

Mindi and I got into an off-air discussion of energy drinks, while I was filling in for Tom, one week ago.  Mindi asked for permission to go public, via Facebook, with my little secret:  I use 5 Hour Energy.  I neither Twitter nor Facebook, so here's the rest of the story.

I'm not here to do a commercial for the stuff, but it does live up to the hype.  It gives you a little boost.  No jitters.  No crash afterward.

I will say that different people have different reactions fo 5 Hour Energy.  It works for me.  For many, it's just too much.  I've read where you develop a tolerance to caffeine over time.  The more you ingest, the more it takes to give you a bump.  If you cut me, and many have, I bleed Diet Pepsi.  I've never been a coffee drinker.

I've been on the stuff for quite a while.  I fear the lift is now psychological more than anything else.

I use 5 Hour Energy only when I'm working overnights and early mornings-- and not every time.  Home use is extremely rare.

Price is an issue.  I've found you can get it a little cheaper on-line and in Walmart/Sam's Club.

Flavor is another issue.  I've tried them all, and they're all horrible.  However, it's only two ounces.  The small amount passes your taste buds quickly enough.  It's the same theory as downing a shot of the cheapest whiskey on the shelf.  It's over fast.

Mini marts are filled with 5 Hour Energy and its clones.  The coolers have dozens of cans of Red Bull, Rock Star and Monster.  It troubles me when I'm standing in line at the store in the morning, and I see high school kids buying giant coffees and cold cans of caffeine loaded fizzy water.

When did America become so tired?