Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Not the Same


There's a nifty, relatively new terminal at Wilkes-Barre Scranton International Airport, and that's fantastic.  It's a good looking and extremely functional building, although I don't see it as the answer to all the region's problems, like the Chamber of Commerce types claim it is.

I walked through the new building, again, last week, and something's missing.
Above is the old airport building, and any time I see it, all I can think of is a lot of Sunday afternoons with my mom and dad when I was young-- watching the planes from the observation deck, all the take offs and landings, airlines with names lile Altair and Allegheny and Eastern.  Then, a burger or a piece of pie down in the restaurant-- another place with a great view of the runway, and all those planes.  The old building had its charm, and, for a kid, it was a great place to spend time.  There was a sense of adventure.  People going places.  I loved the airport, and it's a little surprising I didn't go in to aviation in some form.

The new terminal has a restaurant, but awful views of the runway and no observation deck.

It's not the same, and I miss it.