Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tuesday Scrapple

Bert Blyleven and Roberto Alomar were elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame last week.  I'm okay with Blyleven.  He won 287 games during his career.  Alomar once spit in the face of an umpire.  Putting him in the HOF nauseates me.

The president of Tastykake says the company is struggling.  It might have to sell or merge.   A new bakery isn't saving as much money as expected.  The price of ingredients is up, and people are buying fewer snacks because of the bad economy.  It's a sad situation.  Tastykake is a mid Atlantic legend.  Its lemon pies are awesome.  I'd hate to see Tastykake morph into something different.

I finally found a pair of plain white sneakers I can live with.  Strangely enough, the pair I really wanted was in a big box discount store.  I tried two different stores, and they didn't have my size.  10's seem popular, and they should keep more in stock.  My purchase finally came from a clothing store.  It was more than I wanted to pay, but I wanted the odyssey to end.  I'm old school and I just can't se paying big money for sneakers.  Next item on my list is a computer printer.

I was out doing some errands Thursday afternoon, and It seems like I was behing a PennDOT salt brine truck every five minutes.  You can't convince me that stuff actually works.

ESPN has renewed its Monday Night Football deal, and that's unfortunate.  I think the other networks do football better.

Nancy Grace has renewed her deal with HLN, and that's unfortunate.  She's a horrible person.

New Year's resolution:  be nicer.

Impressions on day two of Wild Card Weekend:  I can't root for any team that employs Michael Vick, so it was nice to see the Packers win.

I expected Baltimore to beat Kansas City handily, even though I was pulling for the underdog Chiefs.  If there's a team that can stop New England, it's the Ravens.  I'm a Steelers fan, so it's difficult for me to say that.

We had a little snow Friday.  More is on the way, but it looks like we'll go through the first half of January without a major storm.  That's not too shabby.  However, I fear I've jinxed it and a big storm has Pennsylvania in its cross hairs.

Piers Morgan's first guest on his new CNN show next week will be Oprah Winfrey.  Are you kidding me?  Oprah is a self absorbed phony who never has anything interesting to say.  It's not a big "get" because Oprah will appear in front of a camera any time, any place.  And, they wonder why CNN can't get ratings.

Penn State head coach Joe Paterno won't release freshman quarterback Rob Bolden from his scholarship.  Why would you force someone to be on your team who doesn't want to be there?  A miserable player doesn't help anyone.  Of course, Bolden could still leave for another university, with severe restrictions.  Let him go.

Brent Musberger and Bob Uecker have both been elected to the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame.  Both should have been there years ago.