Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Va Va Voom

I wonder how the Wawa people feel about this?

A small chain of gas station/mini marts popped up a few months ago.  They took the name Va Va.  The picture on the left was taken on Pittston Avenue in Scranton.  I know there's one on Business Route 6 in Dickson City and North Main Avenue and Oak St. in Scranton.  Another is on Moosic Street in Scranton.  Railroad Avenue in Scranton is another location, and I might be missing one or two.

I've never been to one.   Clearly, these aren't Wawa's.  They're stripped down outlets with generic gas.  Va Va does seem to sell its gasoline a few cents cheaper than everyone else, and no one can complain about that.  People work here, and jobs are always a good thing.

The name is clever.  I told someone about it recently, and she thought I was joking.

I can't help but think that when Wawa's lawyers get a whiff of this, a copyright infringement lawsuit or a cease and desist order is coming.

On the other hand, there are no Wawa's in Scranton (tragic).  If you've ever been to a Wawa, it's impossible to confuse it for a Va Va.  Maybe it doesn't bother the big guys.