Thursday, April 7, 2011

Old Pop Culture

Music is such a wonderful thing.  It serves as a fantastic memory trigger.

Tina Turner's "Proud Mary" is on my iPod.  It came around in the shuffle as I was walking the beagle on a recent morning.  It's a great song.  Yet, the first thing I think of, any time I hear it, is Garrett Morris' Tina Turner impression on "Saturday Night Live" in the mid 70's.  It was absolutely perfect, and quite daring.  Other than Flip Wilson, there wasn't a lot of cross dressing on TV at the time. 

I'd point you to a link, but NBC guards its stuff seriously.  All I could find is one bad still, and it isn't worth posting here.

On a totally unrelated note, "The Waltons" has popped up on a couple cable channels in recent weeks.  You might be shocked by this, but I have spent a little time watching those old episodes.  I didn't realize it in the 70's, but after taking a good look now, all those kids really look like they came from the same family.  I'm sure it was no easy trick.

Kudos to the casting director!

An IMDB.com search reveals they made 213 Waltons episodes, and that's an amazing number.

Reelz has been running NewsRadio episodes for quite a while, and I manage to catch one every so often.  It was clever TV at its finest.  However, seeing Phil Hartman makes me sad-- the life of a talented man cut so short.