Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Nothing

I'm not a Democrat.  I'm not a Republican.

I am an Independent.

No party totally represents my views, so I am a member of neither.

It means I can't vote in the primary, unless there's a ballot question.

I'm okay with that.  I really am.  A primary is to select nominees of a party.  I'm not a member of a party, so I don't vote.

It happens every primary season-- Independents get bent out of shape because we can't vote.  As they say in organized crime, "This is the life we have chosen."  Deal with it.  If you don't like it, join a party.

Many states have open primaries, where everyone votes.  It's not a bad idea.  Change in Pennsylvania moves at a glacial pace, so I'm not holding my breath.

Kevin Jordan was one of the best broadcast political reporters this market has ever seen.  He has some reform ideas on his blog.  Check them out.

In the meantime, I'll see you in November.