Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Good Laugh

I can't write great comedy, but I know it when I hear it.

Case in point, Jimmy Kimmel Live! early Wednesday morning.  Kimmel was referring to the most recent in a series of misstatements and gaffes by presidential candidate Michele Bachmann.  Not only does Bachmann screw up historical events and references, she digs the hole even deeper with her explanations and rationalizations.

Said Kimmel, "It's time to start telling kids that not everyone can grow up to be president."

I'm not sure if the crop of presidential candidates has grown less impressive over the years or if the media is better at catching and exploiting mistakes.  I suspect, like most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

It's not a Republican thing.  Democrats have their share of candidates who seem to suffer from "foot in mouth" disease.

I'm not looking for President Einstein.  I don't think it's asking too much to have a candidate who didn't sleep through history class.