Friday, July 1, 2011

About the Cover

Independence Day is right around the corner, so I wanted to go with a patriotic/historical theme for this month's blog header.

Last July, I chose the Battle of Wyoming monument in Luzerne County.  This year, we've moved from the Revolutionary War to the Civil War.  We've moved north to downtown Scranton and Courthouse Square for a look at the memorial to General Philip Sheridan.

I Googled and Binged for quite a while.  I learned a lot about the general and I discovered this monument was erected in 1910.  I could not find why the fine people of Lackawanna County chose to honor Sheridan.  While his achievements are significant, I couldn't find a direct connection to Scranton.  Do you need a connection to get a monument?  No, not really.  I was just curious.

The Sheridan monument always reminded me of a giant chess piece.  I like it.  It's big and makes a statement without being overwhelming.  You can find it on the square, at Adams and Spruce.