Thursday, August 25, 2011

Winter

While I'm enjoying the cooler days and the even cooler nights, I'm in no hurry for a return to the icy darkness that is January.  Something tells me those cold days will be here sooner than I'd like.

I took my traditional after-work-walk Monday morning.  There are always a ton of squirrels on my route.  I noticed their tails are whiter and fluffier than usual.  Plus, several of the critters were greedily and ferociously grabbing what they could from a chestnut tree.

I'm not one of those people who studies wooly bear caterpillars for a long range forecast.  In fact, I really don't believe long range outlooks.  They are, at best, a guess.  Most of the ones I've seen in recent years call for a 50/50 shot of warmer or colder than normal.  It's your tax dollars at work.

A volcanic eruption, a solar flare or two, and a warm spot in the Pacific can change things quite a bit.  Even a ten day outlook is a stretch, and I apologize to my forecasting co-workers.

Yet, I do believe the squirrels.  They know.   Make sure there's plenty of coal in the bin.  I fear we're in for a tough winter.